Understand Economic Benefit
You know how a particular medical treatment works, but are the health benefits worth the side effects? Does the treatment increase quality of life enough to justify its cost to the patient and the health care system? These are difficult questions that Optum can help you answer.
To calculate the true value of a treatment, the scores from our SF-36v2® and SF-12v2® Health Surveys can be converted into a utility index, called the SF-6D, which considers not only how many years a medical intervention can add to a patient’s life, but also the quality of that life.
The SF-6D can then be used to:
- Get a better understanding of a patient’s real preference for a treatment
- Select the best course of action for a patient
- Compare two interventions based on Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALYs) and cost
- Assess the cost-effectiveness of a medical product, procedure or health and wellness
- Allocate health care resources most efficiently
The SF-6D is available as an optional component of some of our scoring services and through our Outcomes Insight Consulting™ Division. Because of its many applications, the SF-6D is used by companies and professionals throughout the health care industry, including health insurers and hospitals/physicians, as well as pharma, biotech and medical device companies.